David Boyton is Head of Chambers and an experienced criminal lawyer. He primarily defends the more serious offences before a jury, which include murder, manslaughter, rape, trafficking in dangerous drugs and money laundering. Details can be found on the Hong Kong Judiciary website, referring to David's involvement in over 340 criminal cases in the Court of Final Appeal; High Court; and District Court: and is testament, to his experience as both a trial advocate and an appellate lawyer.
He is also heavily involved with work related to disciplinary tribunals and has appeared or made representations before the Veterinary Surgeons Board of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Football Association Appeals Board, Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA); the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS); and the Hong Kong Police Disciplinary Tribunal.
- HKSAR v CHU Chi-ho  4 HKLRD 688 David took up the case through the Bar Free Legal Services to prevent the exception to the hearsay rule being extended to non-sexual offences that involved a sexual element.
- HKSAR v Castaneda  1 HKLRD 705 Persons whose duty was to enforce the law could not deliberately breach it by misconducting themselves, was a misdirection.
- HKSAR v TAM Yi-chun  HKLRD 691 Latest sentencing tariff case on methamphetamine hydrochloride
- HKSAR v HO Hoi-shing (2008) 11 HKCFAR 354 A judge was under a duty to place every available defence before a jury.
- HKSAR v CHU Kam-yiu and others (2002) 1 HKCFAR 591 To convict a person of bookmaking, it must be shown that he has taken an interest in the sum or stake. This judgment came immediately before the Gambling Ordinance, Cap. 148 was amended.
- HKSAR v Adeola Aremu George  2 HKLRD 510 That the mandatory provisions of section 27 of the Magistrates Ordinance, Cap. 227 have to be followed if a charge is to be amended.
- Judicial Officer with the Hong Kong Rugby Union
- Advisor for Hong Kong Police Disciplinary Tribunals
- Teacher at the Hong Kong Bar Association, Advocacy Training Course
- Member of Hong Kong Bar Association Committee on Criminal Law and Procedure
Tel: (+852) 2521-5544
Fax: (+852) 2524-5912
Called to the Bar: England & Wales 1997; Hong Kong 1997
- 1995 - LLM, University of London
- 1993 - LLB (Hons), University of London
- 1981 - BA (Hons), University of Newcastle Upon Tyne