Justin S.C. Cheung
Justin trained to be a solicitor in the Hong Kong office of an international law firm. Since qualification as a solicitor, Justin has worked in the litigation department of several international firms.
As a litigation solicitor, Justin was responsible for mostly commercial cases conducted at the High Court in Hong Kong as well as the District Court of Hong Kong. He oversaw all aspects of a case from the initial preparation for bringing a claim to the actual trial, communicating with the court, clients, witnesses, experts, barristers and the opposing legal team.
The following are examples of the cases he handled:
- Shareholders/directors and contractual disputes (including employment cases concerning restrictive contractual clauses), often with a PRC element
- Contentious probate proecedings
- Advice on profits tax assessments of an international company and its subsidiaries
- Representing the taxpayer in appeals before both the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal concerning the judicial review of a decision of the Board of Review
- Defending contractual and negligence claims involving investment products
- Defending contractual and tortious claims brought by a former employee
- Advising investment advisor in investigation by the Securities and Futures Commission and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority
As a barrister, Justin handles both civil and criminal cases.
Civil cases - Appearing in interlocutory applications and trials, mostly concerning commercial disputes; drafting pleadings and written advice on both procedural and legal matters involved in winding-up, employment and matrimonial cases.
Criminal cases - Advising on possible liability and procedural issues such as those under the Securities and Futures Ordinance (Cap. 571); conducting bail applications, mitigations and trials.
Some examples of cases:
- Successfully defending a claim under the Sale of Goods Ordinance (Cap. 26)
- Representing a defendant at various interlocutory applications ancillary to a Mareva injunction at the Court of First Instance
- Successfully defending a charge of welfare fraud
Justin S.C. Cheung
Tel: (+852) 2521-5544
Fax: (+852) 2524-5912
Called to the Bar: Hong Kong 2011
- 2009-present, Solicitor (England & Wales)
- 2006-2010, Solicitor (Hong Kong)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Laws, Pembroke College, University of Oxford
- Secondary Education, St. Joseph's College, Hong Kong, Haileybury, England