Paul Barrett(FCIArb, FRICS,FHKIS, FCIOB)
Paul is a Chartered Arbitrator, HKMAAL Accredited Mediator and HKIAC Accredited Adjudicator.
Paul’s practice is in civil litigation with an emphasis on construction law. He qualified as a barrister following his arrival in Hong Kong in 1990. He spent many years as a consultant with solicitors handling litigation, mediation and arbitration before joining the Hong Kong Bar.
Paul has particular experience in arbitration having conducted over 100 cases and regularly sits as arbitrator and as mediator. His construction background provides a suitable platform to handle a variety of disputes and he is conversant with all standard forms of construction contract.
Paul is a regular speaker on arbitration, mediation and construction issues. He teaches and examines extensively for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in their various courses and is a former chairman of the East Asia Branch.
- Counsel in substantial road dispute in New Territories
- Representing a party in a fast track, documents only, arbitration concerning the failure of a sub-contractor to perform on a construction project.
- Acting for a contractor in two separate appeals against an arbitrator's award.
- Acting for a contractor in defending a claim from a sub-contractor for wrongful termination and a claim for quantum meruit.
- Acting for a party in an arbitration for changes in the quantity of work and re-rating including successfully defending the subsequent appeal.
- Acting for a party in a dispute concerning various matters of measurement and the specification of work.
- Acting for a contractor in successfully defending a claim from a sub-contractor for HK$20m in respect of the interpretation of the contract and the method of measurement.
Tel: (+852) 2521-5544
Mobile: (+852) 9316-6195
Fax: (+852) 2524-5912
Called to the Bar: Hong Kong 1999